CXA Universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

TNA Impact - a few random observations.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

TNA Impact - a few random observations. Empty
PostSubject: TNA Impact - a few random observations.   TNA Impact - a few random observations. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 3:11 pm

As I am off work for a week taking some leave to just do pretty much nothing for a few days, I decided to record TNA Impact this week, sit down and watch it end to end for a change, and see what I thought. I've not watched a whole episode of Impact in AGES, and a lot of people were saying its a much better product these days, so I thought I'd give it a go. Herewith some random thoughts.

Overall, I really liked what I saw. I thought it was a tight and solid product that had a clear direction throughout and knew where it was going. Nothing was overly complex, and in production terms they still lag way behind WWE, but everyone knew what the show was there to do, and everything seemed to be built around doing it. And frankly that's a lot more than you can say about WWE at times. It was simple, but it was focused, and I have no problem with that.

Even as someone who hasn't watched the show in ages, I could pick up what was happening thanks to simply recaps. For instance the Bound for Glory series - There's been a tournament series of matches with the top guys pitched against one another. You score points for winning and how you win. Now that's reaching an end. Here are the last two matches to determine final standings. The top four guys will fight at the September PPV, and the winners at the October one for the tournament win. Its simple, its effective, and it builds not only to the PPV, but also beyond it. Meanwhile some renegade group have been attacking the world champ, now he wants revenge. Again, its old school, its simple it works.

There didn't seem to a lot of filler or convoluted plot lines, and there were no matches that were just there with no angle - unlike WWE at times.

As for the matches themselves, they were all fine. Maybe nothing was amazing, and at times RVD .v. Bull Ray lacked some pace, but they were perfectly OK for television. Hidden camera fly on the way backstage bits are a little hokey, but really no worse than the invisible fourth wall that exists in WWE locker rooms.

So overall, yes, I enjoyed Impact. I think its a much tighter product than it was.

A few random thoughts:

Good to see Jeff Hardy back looking at least competent in the ring - though I'm not convinced he'll ever get back to where he was in WWE.

Hogan appears to be wearing a packet of fresh pasta under his do-rag. Its certainly not natural hair coming down the back of his head.

Mike Tenay's "thoughtful" face still looks like he's trying to shit a breeze block.

Nice to see Joey Ryan in TNA. I saw him wrestle for PWG a few years ago and really thought he had some talent. His couple of jobber matches in WWE never got him in there and he'll do better in TNA

James Storm's promo style reminds me a lot of 1997 era Shawn Michaels, with a dose of Stone Cold added on top.

Bully Ray has done well to get himself in shape, but I'm still not convinced he's a great wrestler

Rob Terry stil has a millin dollar's worth of muscles and 50c worth of charisma. He's in debt when it comes to wrestling talent.

Magnus keeps getting better and better. WWE need to get after Nick Aldis right now. Nick also needs to remember he's English - noted during the promo with Jo that's he's rounding out his accent and taking on some American twinges. We don't want that.

Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/david.shand
Drogoth

Drogoth

PostSubject: Re: TNA Impact - a few random observations.   TNA Impact - a few random observations. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 10:41 am

The bits I've seen have deffo improved. The tourney especially is a good way to go, gets feuds going, gives things a focus. Not rocdket science but does work. Same for the attacks. Contrast that with the way the WWE are using Sheamus. Not exactly seeling him. So while there's still room for improvement it's getting better on TNA.

And ditto on Jeff Smile
Back to top Go down
Drogoth

Drogoth

PostSubject: Re: TNA Impact - a few random observations.   TNA Impact - a few random observations. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 10:45 am

Haven't seen of the PPV, mind. Sure, it's a bit odd not to see the champion in proper action but they still kept him involved. Plus the result of the main event makes for a good match at the next PPV! Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TNA Impact - a few random observations.   TNA Impact - a few random observations. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TNA Impact - a few random observations.
Page 1 of 1