CXA Universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

30th January 2011

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

30th January 2011 Empty
PostSubject: 30th January 2011   30th January 2011 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 3:08 am

30th January 2011

No-one alive today would be able to tell you with any certainty exactly when the carpet was made. Even the best estimates from the finest experts in their field could only date it as “mid 17th century”. The problem was that at that time record keeping for this type of item was patchy at best, and in any case the style and design had been so influential that it remained in production for many years, and influenced many similar designs. So boiling it down to a likely period was probably as much as you could hope for.

What the experts would be able to agree was that the carpet was made in Kirwan, a city in area in what would now be central Iran. Kirwan weavers were considered amongst the very best in the entire world, and even back in the 17th century their products were highly regarded and eagerly bought by the very best members of society. Kirwan vase carpets, of which this was one, went on to influence the design of middle-eastern (and indeed Western) carpets well into the 19th century, with everyone wanting something which resembled these Iranian masterpieces.

But no copies or later interpretations could match the glorious quality of an original carpet. This particular one – which was actually manufactured in 1637 – was approximately seven and a half feet long, and five and a half feet wide. Its intricate weave was of a rich golden sand colour, with details picked out in darker shades, strong reds, and a rich black. When it was originally made, it was a special order for the governor of the province, and had adorned the bedroom in his magnificent home. Since then it had passed through several expensive hands and decorated many sumptuous rooms. It had seen the rise and fall of men, of families, of countries, and indeed of empires. It had been hidden during wars and disputes. But it had always bee treasured, always been prized, and most importantly it had survived.

Original Kirwan vase carpets of this kind were exceptionally rare. So rare in fact that London’s Victoria and Albert Museum could boast only a fragment of an original on display. So when this carpet came up for auction at Christies in London in April of 2010, the level of excitement among collectors and aficionados was extreme. The catalogue estimate for the carpet was £300,000, and while many expected the final figure would greatly exceed that, none were prepared for just quite by how much. When bidding ceased and the hammer finally fell, an anonymous telephone bidder had just paid £6.2m for it.

£6.2m in April 2010, but now less than a year later, as it sat on the floor of its new home, many thousands were being shed from that price by the second. With each drip this exquisite piece of irreplaceable art was being destroyed. And its owner wasn’t even noticing.

The carpet sat on the floor of a sprawling ranch house in Montana, in a study where it had sat since 3 days after that Christie’s auction. On it sat a leather wingback chair which faced a large television screen built into the wall.

On that television screen, a frozen image. The Forgotten Warrior revealed as Matthew Shand, blue eyes blazing with hatred, his words still hanging in the air

"Always remember....."

"blood is thicker than water........BROTHER"

And sitting in that chair, leaning forward now with his elbows resting on the arms, and his head hung low, is David Shand. His own eyes are not full of the fire and hatred of his brother, but instead are full of the anger that comes with sadness and remorse.

He’s staring down at the Kirwan carpet, but he’s not seeing the pattern. He’s not seeing anything; his mind is a million miles away. And that’s why he’s not noticing.

He’s not noticing the shards of glass that litter the carpet in front of him from the crystal whisky glass he’s just crushed in his hand.

And he’s not noticing the dark red blood that is slowly dripping from the cuts on his hand, and ruining his £6m carpet.
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/david.shand
Julius Seizure

Julius Seizure

30th January 2011 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 30th January 2011   30th January 2011 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 3:29 am

Another cracking RP. I don't know where you keep getting these fresh ideas from but keep it up Very Happy
Back to top Go down
NightStarX
Admin
NightStarX

30th January 2011 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 30th January 2011   30th January 2011 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 4:06 am

ooc: Agreed with Jox. I mean, I have to really try hard to think of the ideas for my RP's and find it a challenge to assemble them creatively, and meticulously work at it just for something passable to come out of me.

It's something that I find a challenge, but you guys tend to make it look your creativity and freshess look brilliant, and above all, effortless. I'm still amazed by how good and natural you guys are at things like this. Certainly easier and of a higher level than i've ever been good at.
Back to top Go down
https://cxauniverse.rpg-board.net
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

30th January 2011 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 30th January 2011   30th January 2011 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 4:17 am

ooc: Thanks guys. It literally often comes from a single image I get in my head, and then I spin it from there. In this case when Matt did his reveal, I got a image of the Reaper being so enraged, he crushed a whisky glass in his hand.

I then simply think of how I'm going to get to the point where you see that.

Have to say though that for general storyline direction, having Myron around helps a lot. We send each other emails to bounce general ideas off, and suggest things to each other. That always helps, having someone to test ideas on. I've said before that I'm more than happy if people want to bounce ideas off me.
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/david.shand
Faulerro

Faulerro

30th January 2011 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 30th January 2011   30th January 2011 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 4:44 am

OOC: Only David could write a mesmerising RP about carpet. Wink Just fooling, this is great.
Back to top Go down
Julius Seizure

Julius Seizure

30th January 2011 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 30th January 2011   30th January 2011 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 5:02 am

It maybe carpet but it's not just ANY carpet it's a 17th century...

Oh, I see what you mean...

Yeah, you're good. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
NightStarX
Admin
NightStarX

30th January 2011 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 30th January 2011   30th January 2011 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 5:13 am

ooc: lol, rug munching. Yup. This degenerated fast. :F hurr.
Back to top Go down
https://cxauniverse.rpg-board.net
Sponsored content

30th January 2011 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 30th January 2011   30th January 2011 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

30th January 2011
Page 1 of 1