CXA Universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Hardcore Legend Standup Comedy

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Julius Seizure

Julius Seizure

Hardcore Legend Standup Comedy Empty
PostSubject: Hardcore Legend Standup Comedy   Hardcore Legend Standup Comedy Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 12:34 pm

Something I stumbled upon by accident:

http://mickfoleystandup.co.uk/

I bet that would be quite funny. You can tell that Mick Foley is an intelligent, funny guy from reading his books. TBH if I knew about it in advance, and if tickets weren't sold out I probably would have made the journey over to London to see him. Unfortunately the rest of the dates are in Glasgow, Nottingham, Manchester and Newcastle which is a bit of a way to go. Plus they're shitholes. No Bristol dates for some reason.

I say that if he does a UK tour next year, we all go to it (the London one) then have a mental party afterwards at casa Shand Very Happy

Who's with me!!??
Back to top Go down
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

PostSubject: Re: Hardcore Legend Standup Comedy   Hardcore Legend Standup Comedy Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 1:30 pm

I was aware of this a while back. Not sure why I didn't mention it before (though Jordan's idea of a party at mine might have been a good reason not to!)

I think he might be quite funny, but I wonder if he might also be a little egotistical?

Incidentally, there was also a guy at the Edinburgh Fringe this year doing a sand up called something like "confessions of a wrestling fan". Show on wrestling and the sometimes embarrassment of being a fan.
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/david.shand
Julius Seizure

Julius Seizure

PostSubject: Re: Hardcore Legend Standup Comedy   Hardcore Legend Standup Comedy Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 4:10 pm

I dunno, maybe. I've never met the man so I couldn't say, although I'd imagine that having an ego is a necessity in the wrestling industry and it would probably make him funnier. I don't mind that with people so much. Mick's accomplished a lot, in my opinion he's got the right to boast about it and blow his own trumpet. If I'd done half the stuff he's done I'd probably be pretty full of myself too. Not quite Hulkster style ego but you get what I mean lol

Aww why not, it will be fun. I'll bring some nasty cider with bits of apple peel and wasps in it we can all quaff upon and spill all over your carpet and I'll stamp it in with my muddy wellies
Back to top Go down
Drogoth

Drogoth

PostSubject: Re: Hardcore Legend Standup Comedy   Hardcore Legend Standup Comedy Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2011 4:16 pm

Be fair, DS...he's raising his standards for you...Wink
Back to top Go down
Julius Seizure

Julius Seizure

PostSubject: Re: Hardcore Legend Standup Comedy   Hardcore Legend Standup Comedy Icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2011 1:43 am

For me that's practically top hats and monocles!
Back to top Go down
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

PostSubject: Re: Hardcore Legend Standup Comedy   Hardcore Legend Standup Comedy Icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2011 1:43 am

Well, I do have wood floors, so it would at least be easy to wipe down after him.

Jordan, you have a point on the ego, but I'm going by his last couple of books, where the humour was a lot more self-indulgent than previously. I don't know, he may be excellent.
Back to top Go down
Julius Seizure

Julius Seizure

PostSubject: Re: Hardcore Legend Standup Comedy   Hardcore Legend Standup Comedy Icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2011 2:40 am

I don't know if I read the second book he did, I remember reading the first one though, that was a really good read.

Well, I'd think that the people that would go and see Mick doing standup would be wrestling fans, and any wrestling fan who knows anything about anything would know about Mick and what he's accomplished and I'd doubt anyone would hold it against him for being a bit egotistical.

If he does a tour next year I'll probably go and check him out. Just looked at tickets on eBay, there's a Buy It Now for 2 x tickets & meet & greet with Mick, £500. Or one ticket, the same, for £25 delivered, hahaha.

I wish I'd seen this a month ago
Back to top Go down
Drogoth

Drogoth

PostSubject: Re: Hardcore Legend Standup Comedy   Hardcore Legend Standup Comedy Icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2011 12:40 pm

Like you I don't know enough about the guy to make an absolute judgement. But I have a tendancy, over the last few years, to be more indulgent in his promos. Less self depreciating and more ego driven than before. But that's just me
Back to top Go down
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

PostSubject: Re: Hardcore Legend Standup Comedy   Hardcore Legend Standup Comedy Icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2011 12:46 pm

I think the same- the ego has developed over the past few years, and you can see it in the books. Ive also heard various reports about him being more divaish where bookings, conditions, and money are concerned.
Back to top Go down
Drogoth

Drogoth

PostSubject: Re: Hardcore Legend Standup Comedy   Hardcore Legend Standup Comedy Icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2011 12:50 pm

I think it's more evident because of his background as one of the gang rather than a superstar, as such.
Back to top Go down
NightStarX
Admin
NightStarX

PostSubject: Re: Hardcore Legend Standup Comedy   Hardcore Legend Standup Comedy Icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2011 3:01 pm

Yeah, I also got that feeling. Mick has become pretty pretentious over time.

Then again, I believe a lot of it is understandable. He's had a lot of things TO boost his ego over time. Being declared a legend in his own time, factually becoming a 2 time New York Times best-selling author, his accolades are all self-made with sacrifice and hard work and he's overcome a lot....

When you come from a background where you used to sleep in cars, and suddenly you've accomplished all these things in life, it's probably exceptionally easy to become pretentious and self-indulgent.

I mean, in his second book, he stopped the entire thing stone dead, just to devote a lengthy section of the book to simply taking down an organization he feels is corrupt.

He was right about Brent Bozell and the PTC of course, but that still doesn't change that basically an entire one-third of his second book was an immensely preachy, self-absorbed, PSA crusade rather than a follow-up to an auto-biography.
Back to top Go down
https://cxauniverse.rpg-board.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hardcore Legend Standup Comedy   Hardcore Legend Standup Comedy Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hardcore Legend Standup Comedy
Page 1 of 1