CXA Universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Film Recommendation

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

Film Recommendation Empty
PostSubject: Film Recommendation   Film Recommendation Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 2:06 am

Unusual for me to put a movie recommendation on here, but I wanted to mention one I went to see last night. The film is "Anonymous" and its basically setting out one of the various theories that William Shakespeare didn't actually write any of the plays that have been attributed to him.

That's used as a background to tell the story of the Earl of Oxford (who they say really wrote the plays) and his relationship with Queen Elizabeth I and her puritanical advisers, who were plotting to control who would be her successor to the English throne. Shakespeare is portrayed as a feckless actor who was used by Oxford and other playwright, Ben Johnson, to keep Oxford's name out of what was then still seen as a lowly passtime.

Even if you don't buy into the story (and I don't) or aren't a big Shakespeare fan, its a phenomenal movie. Brilliantly acted, wonderfully directed, a fantastic script, and superbly shot. It just oozes quality and tells the tale in a fantastic way. It was much much better than I was expecting it to be.

Really worth a watch if you get the chance.
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/david.shand
Julius Seizure

Julius Seizure

PostSubject: Re: Film Recommendation   Film Recommendation Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 2:30 am

I heard this was a good film. Sounds intriguing, I might check it out if I get the chance. Not sure how much I believe Shakespeare being a dumbass though
Back to top Go down
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

PostSubject: Re: Film Recommendation   Film Recommendation Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 3:26 am

No, like I say, I don't put tremendous faith in the theory. There have been all sorts of conspiracies about Shakespeare, most based around the fact that there are no original manuscripts which are known to be written in his own hand.

However, scripts in those days were throwaway things. Actors, theatre owners, and contemporaries would have re-written their own copies, or paid people to make copies for them, and originals would probably have been thrown away or lost. The actual written form of Shakespeare's plays weren't widely known until the First Folio was published.
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/david.shand
Drogoth

Drogoth

PostSubject: Re: Film Recommendation   Film Recommendation Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 11:36 am

I'll probably check the film out. I like the idea behind it and think this story has a better chance than most. But, like you, I think he did write them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Film Recommendation   Film Recommendation Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Film Recommendation
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CXA Universe :: Topics, Discussion, and Talk :: General Conversation-
Jump to: