CXA Universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own

Go down 
+2
Julius Seizure
RobArnold
6 posters
AuthorMessage
RobArnold

RobArnold

Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own Empty
PostSubject: Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own   Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 6:57 am

So, following on from the other day, and I mentioned something about this. I finally got round to doing it!

What games do we hold on to specifically to either admire or play once every blue moon? We all do it, I know I do, so what games and why? Also, any you're still after for the collection?

For me:

Megadrive

Sonic 1, 2, 3, & Knuckles - Needs no real explination this one, so much fun!
Earthworm Jim 2 - I haven't got one, I want to, but haven't seen a copy for a while to get. I loved these games, just great fun and random humour within a platform.
Micro Machines 2 - The only racing game I have ever enjoyed minus Burnout Revenge.

PS1

Final Fantasy 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 - Okay pre 7 they wern't for this console but I picked up the re-releases. Again this all goes without question, amazing series of games.
Discworld - Very rare to own it, but I love it, a take on the Terry Pratchett books and one hell of a lot of fun.
Tombi - Another rare one, a platformer about a boy with pink hair and evil pigs, rather addictive though!
Pandemonium - Another platformer about a woman and a jester, always fun to have a go with.

Wishlist

Toejam & Earl - Megadrive
Dynamite Headdy - Megadrive
Earthworm Jim - Megadrive
Discworld 2 - PS1

I'll so add to this when i get home and have a proper think.
Back to top Go down
Julius Seizure

Julius Seizure

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own   Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 8:21 am

Megadrive

Sonic 1, 2, 3, & Knuckles, Alien Storm, SoR 2, the are others but these are the main ones I play. also got Earthworm Jim 1 + 2, classics!

PS1

Final Fantasy 7, Final Fantasy 8, Tony Hawk 2, GTA2, Theme Park, Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee & Exoddus, Metal Gear Solid, Street Fighter EX+@, Crash games, Crash Team Racing, Command & Conquer and loads more
Back to top Go down
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own   Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 9:51 am

I remember Pandemonium. Great game.

Honestly, I don't actually own any retro games these days, with the exception of Day of Reckoning 2, which is a Gamecube game I occasionally play on the Wii. Oh and I do still have Track and Field, but its an XBL download.

I love the history of old games, and respect them all greatly, but I do think there's a lot of "Rose coloured reflection" going on when some people rave about them. Some are undoubted classics, and stuff like the original Sonic and Mario deserve to be held in high regard. However, as big a fan of the original jump and slasher platformer Prince of Persia as I was, I can't say I'd rather play it now over Assassins Creed: Brotherhood. Same goes for No Mercy over SvR 11.

Which isn't to say I'd argue with any of you owning them and still loving them. I totally understand it. I also, despite my comment above, agree that good gameplay is more important than the bells and whistles and that some old games had it more than the new ones do. (on that vein, anyone with an xbox really should download Trials HD, classic example of a simple premise that's amazing fun to play). However, I do think in general that things have moved on for the better.
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/david.shand
lonewolfshanehunt

lonewolfshanehunt

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own   Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 10:09 am

I have a load of old PC games still. I've got Sam and Max Hit the Road, Discworld, Police Quest 1, Street Fighter 2 (Yep, the PC version Razz), Doom, Theme Park, Flight of the Amazon Queen, and a few others.

In terms of PS1 and PS2 games, I have a fair few stashed in my girlfriends mums house. They're in the wardrobe of the room we were in before we got our own flat.
Back to top Go down
NightStarX
Admin
NightStarX

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own   Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 8:33 am

Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own 46904123031144416417100

This is just my NES collection, and only as of September 2010. I have more than this now. My SNES collection is about 66% the side of this.

As for my favorite among them... I dunno. I'd have to go through them.
Back to top Go down
https://cxauniverse.rpg-board.net
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own   Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 12:17 pm

.........Ok, Mike wins.

Next string. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
NightStarX
Admin
NightStarX

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own   Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 1:52 pm

Actually... not really.

I sold my PS2 and 1 a while ago, and so have NO games for that, or the system anymore. Which I regret.

I did recently buy an N64 with several games but that's about it.

So really you guys beat me when it comes to non-cartridge games.
Back to top Go down
https://cxauniverse.rpg-board.net
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own   Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 1:02 am

Yes, but in terms of retro games as a whole, I think you have us pretty well beaten.
Back to top Go down
lonewolfshanehunt

lonewolfshanehunt

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own   Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 7:03 am

You've posted that picture somewhere before, and back then I thought it was an insane amount of games.
Back to top Go down
RobArnold

RobArnold

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own   Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 6:36 am

This wasn't meant to be about quantity to be fair :p

I just wanted to know peoples favourites that they own, what kinda collections they may or may not have built up and if there were any out there they wanted to still get!

I don't have too many because I simply dont have the room. I've got about 20 megadrive games and about the same amount of PS1 games, then probably only another 10 PS2 games.

It doesn't really leave much room for my 360 games to be honest!
Back to top Go down
Julius Seizure

Julius Seizure

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own   Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 9:27 am

I've got a CD holder and the boxes in storage. I've got about 60 PS2 games, many of them I've never even played Very Happy All my PS1 games I keep in their boxes, they get pride of place :p
Back to top Go down
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own   Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 11:35 am

I do wish someone would do a new version of Destruction Derby. I used to love that game.
Back to top Go down
Drogoth

Drogoth

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own   Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 11:44 am

Forget that I want an updated version of 'Horace goes skiing'...he could be the Sonic for the next generation!
Back to top Go down
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own   Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own Icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 12:55 am

Another game I used to love was Hunchback on the Commodore 64. Basically a platformer where you played as Quasimodo trying to rescue Esmerelda. I distinctly remember that the game used to take 8 minutes to load!

Those were the days, when you could pirate your entire games collection by doing tape to tape copying on your stereo. Used to trade tapes with mates that had about a dozen games on each :0)
Back to top Go down
Julius Seizure

Julius Seizure

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own   Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own Icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 1:44 am

Wow...

YOU'RE FUCKING OLD!
Back to top Go down
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own   Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own Icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 2:06 am

......Yeah, thanks for that. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Julius Seizure

Julius Seizure

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own   Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own Icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 2:26 am

Wink

Don't worry, when I'm 30 you can start laughing at me for being old! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own   Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own Icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 3:01 am

*adds Jordan's name to "The List"
Back to top Go down
lonewolfshanehunt

lonewolfshanehunt

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own   Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own Icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 4:48 am

I was looking into the old Destruction Derby games the other day. I loved those games. I'd like to see a new one, or at least one of the older ones on Xbox Live with slightly updated graphics.
Back to top Go down
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own   Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own Icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 5:27 am

I think it was Destruction Derby 2 that had a course with a long downhill section, and rigth at the top was a ramp in the track which curved up slightly on the right-hand side. If you hit the ramp the right way at the right speed it was possible to do the James Bond barrel roll jump in your car, either landing back on your wheels, or much more amusingly, crushing another car under you.
Back to top Go down
lonewolfshanehunt

lonewolfshanehunt

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own   Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own Icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 6:49 am

The second one is the one I remember playing most. I mostly did the arena bits where you had to be the last car still running. They were fun, but annoying if you blew both tyres on one side then kept going head on into the barrier lol. I think that, and the races as well, would be fun on Live against real opposition.
Back to top Go down
Julius Seizure

Julius Seizure

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own   Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own Icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 8:06 am

I must admit racers have never really done it for me. I do have DD from the PSN but haven't played that much of it. The only real racers I played were Mario Kart Double Dash and it's Playstation solution Crash Team Racing. Lots of fun to be had!
Back to top Go down
Drogoth

Drogoth

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own   Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own Icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 8:10 am

Don't worry, I'm sure Jordan will stop needing a bib and diper some time soon...Wink
Back to top Go down
Julius Seizure

Julius Seizure

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own   Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own Icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 8:12 am

I'll pass them onto you when I'm done, you'll be needing them in a few years! tongue
Back to top Go down
Drogoth

Drogoth

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own   Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own Icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 8:23 am

I'm going down the Davros route and having my top half attached to a mobilty scooter!
Back to top Go down
lonewolfshanehunt

lonewolfshanehunt

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own   Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own Icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 9:05 am

DD wasn't really a racing game as such. Rather than winning the race being the main aim, the main aim was more to smash up the other cars to get points.
Back to top Go down
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own   Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own Icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 10:24 am

Ahh, now I'd forgotten it was available on PSN. Might have to get that for old times sake.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own   Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favourite Retro Games We All Still Own
Page 1 of 1