CXA Universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What a weekend!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Julius Seizure

Julius Seizure

What a weekend! Empty
PostSubject: What a weekend!   What a weekend! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 3:28 am

I too have had a smashing weekend of fun! Last week my friend Nanda from Brazil told me she was in Delft (Netherlands) for work and was spending the weekend in Amsterdam and asked if I wanted to come. Luckily I managed to procur time off, flights and a hostel in a few days notice and so on Friday afternoon I touched down at Schiphol airport. Didn't spend much time here, jumped on a train to the central station to get a tram. Funnily enough, as soon as I stepped out of the train station I could smell it in the air.

After I got to the hostel and met Nanda we went out straight away, found some hippy-like coffeeshop and smoked loads of weed, went for a meal, went back for more weed and got a relatively early night. Where Nanda and I had dinner they tried to give us a glass of wine for free for being Brasilian & English respectively, but turned it down (if we were with Dutch people we wouldn't have got it :S)

The next day we went to the Heineken museum for the tour (good but expensive, not really worth 13 euro), then went on some free boat ride (can't remember this very well), went around the torture museum (7.50 euros in central Amsterdam... you get what you pay for!) and loads of bars, coffeeshops and food breaks in between. We went with a Canadian chap from Winnipeg who was staying at our hostel.

On Sunday me and Nanda went to the Van Gogh museum (14 euro for a good informative museum with loads of his work, but we were both high as a kite so can't remember a whole lot) then took the Amsterdam free tour for about 3 hours (this was good, I gave a 5 euro tip) bounced around town then went back to pick up the Canadian for another weed jaunt around the red-light district. I always say I'd never fuck a hooker but goddayyyum some of them are FIT and my faith was tested when we went past the windows. Also saw ladyboys and some real nasty, rough prositutes for the lulz.

On Monday, Nanda left for the airport early so me and Shane went to the Bulldog cafe in the red-light, sent some postcards then ambled on to the airport. Got in at 10:00 last night then business as usual this morning.

Amsterdam is an amazing city, moreso than most European cities. The people and culture are incredibly diverse, welcoming and friendly. In addition to the vice attractions there, there's also loads of culturey stuff. Museums, galleries, exhibitions, shows, loads of things. It is expensive (4.80 euro for a pint of beer) but if you're like me and value a good experience more than how much money you have left either then you'll love Amsterdam. Everyone go there ASAP. Also don't worry about the anti-cannabis laws coming in, they won't be affecting Amsterdam. Woo hoo, I can't wait to go next year!
Back to top Go down
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

What a weekend! Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a weekend!   What a weekend! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 5:17 am

As much as you can remember of it, it sounds like a good time was had by all. Never got around to going to Amsterdam, though I've wanted to for a while. Not interested in the drug culture of course, but as you say the place is doing quite well for interesting cultural diversions, so its a place I'll get to eventually.
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/david.shand
Julius Seizure

Julius Seizure

What a weekend! Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a weekend!   What a weekend! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 7:25 am

It's a brilliant place to go mate, I'd highly recommend it whether you're into space cakes and €20 blowers or traditional Dutch cuisine and modern art. Amsterdam has something for everyone. One of the better cities in Europe IMO. Unfortunately someone in our group of friends has died so this weekend ended on a bum note, but aside from that I had an incredible time. It's a strange feeling to be walking through city streets, looking at the girls-for-hire in the window, whilst holding a beer, with the stench of weed smoke all around you. I like it!
Back to top Go down
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

What a weekend! Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a weekend!   What a weekend! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 10:46 am

Sorry to hear about your friend , mate.

As for the beer, hookers, and weed. Walk through Soho at about 1am. ;0)
Back to top Go down
RobArnold

RobArnold

What a weekend! Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a weekend!   What a weekend! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 11:20 am

Sounds good mate. Glad you enjoyed. Wanna go back to Prague before I head to Amsterdam. A mate went out there with his partner a while back, so deffo wanna go soon.

What happened with Lenny mate? Dont really wanna ask on Facebook. Hadnt really spoke to him in a long while, but often saw him in the Kinger.
Back to top Go down
Drogoth

Drogoth

What a weekend! Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a weekend!   What a weekend! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 11:31 am

Like DS I'd be more interested in the culture stuff than the drug culture. Nothing is more likely to turn my stomach than that smell and I've always been too twichy to waste my days smoking it...Wink

Sorry to hear about your friend.
Back to top Go down
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

What a weekend! Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a weekend!   What a weekend! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 1:30 am

Funnily enough, I noticed in the Evening Standard last night that Eurostar are now doing bookings to Amsterdam via Brussels, thanks to a new high-speed rail link. Might be worth looking into that.

But Scotland first for me, and then I might go back to Bruges at the end of the year.
Back to top Go down
Julius Seizure

Julius Seizure

What a weekend! Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a weekend!   What a weekend! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 3:21 am

My colleague was in Brugge on the weekend, think he enjoyed it. Expensive though eh. He couldn't find the potato museum either which I recommended (did you recommend it to me first, Dave?)

Yeah that might be good, I prefer trains to planes definitely, but Bristol - Amsterdam is less than an hour's flight, and probably a third less from London so it's not so tiresome.

Gonna have to hit Prague again I reckon. I did the touristy stuff last time so next time I'll hit it hard Very Happy

Hahaha if the smell of weed really makes your stomach turn then I'd stay away from Amsterdam Razz me, I smoke it all the time so I don't have that problem, luckily!

I don't know the full story about Lenny, I don't think anyone does. When I first heard I assumed it was misadventure (he was always the one getting pissed and swinging off scaffolding and running out in front of cars and stuff) but apparently it's now looking like suicide. From what I understand he'd been a bit off the last few months, depression and stuff, then I think all the drink & drugs tipped him over the edge. Harry saw him earlier in the day and said he was tripping balls so I guess that didn't help either. He jumped off the roof his 3rd storey flat. Going from some peoples' facebook posts he was in hospital pretty much broken then when it was clear how bad he was they pulled the plug (Harry said he'd broken his back in a few places and had severe brain damage)
Back to top Go down
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

What a weekend! Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a weekend!   What a weekend! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 3:55 am

I think I must have recommended it, yes. Possible its not there anymore, though it looked to be doing good enough business while I was out there.

I'm really not interested in flying anywhere at the moment. I'd make an exception only if I was flying business class, but generally I find it boring an uncomfortable. Much prefer a train journey. By the time you add in waiting about at airports, the time difference is much less as well.

Pretty tragic situation with your mate.
Back to top Go down
Drogoth

Drogoth

What a weekend! Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a weekend!   What a weekend! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 10:23 am

Weed really does make my stomach turn, which shows how much it must stink as I have a muted sense of smell (after some allergy ops)! I've done the odd naughty substance myself but that's also one I associate with a few friends who have just ground to a halt, thanks to the weed.

As DS says tragic situation with your friend and I feel for his family/friends. Drugs and alcohol are never great when you're depressed as they tend to make things worse rather than better.
Back to top Go down
Julius Seizure

Julius Seizure

What a weekend! Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a weekend!   What a weekend! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 10:03 am

I posted a RIP message on Lenny's facebook that got quoted on thisissomerset.co.uk . I hope his parents see it. I know it won't bring him back but if I was his poor mother I'd take comfort from my (and everyone else's) kind words. I can't imagine how his parents must feel right now.
Back to top Go down
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

What a weekend! Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a weekend!   What a weekend! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 12:04 pm

Nicely done fella.
Back to top Go down
Julius Seizure

Julius Seizure

What a weekend! Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a weekend!   What a weekend! Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 3:09 am

About 12 of us went up to dear leap last night (this ramblers car park on the top of a hill just outside Wells) and set off loads of Chinese lanterns as a tribute. It was actually very light hearted and we were all laughing and joking and drinking. T'was good fun
Back to top Go down
Drogoth

Drogoth

What a weekend! Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a weekend!   What a weekend! Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 10:16 am

While I disapprove of Chinese lanterns in general (for the harm they create) that's a nice gesture SmileSmile
Back to top Go down
Julius Seizure

Julius Seizure

What a weekend! Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a weekend!   What a weekend! Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 11:45 am

Yeah I don't think they're great either. Pretty dangerous too, think we all nearly ended up in the burns unit at some point when we were setting them off, but yeah like you say it's more about the gesture
Back to top Go down
Drogoth

Drogoth

What a weekend! Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a weekend!   What a weekend! Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 1:02 pm

Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

What a weekend! Empty
PostSubject: Re: What a weekend!   What a weekend! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What a weekend!
Page 1 of 1